Pancakes come in hundreds of varieties, and most countries feature some type, made with local ingredients, in their native cuisine. Since Indonesian cuisine features lots of fresh tropical fruit and coconut milk, it’s only natural that these ingredients are used in Indonesian Tropical Crepes with Coconut Sauce; not only is this an attractive dessert to serve, it’s absolutely delectable.
The crepes are really quite easy to make, and can be made ahead and reheated for 5-10 seconds each in the microwave when you're ready to assemble the dessert. Since mangoes, fresh pineapple, and bananas are available year round, this dessert can be made any time of year. Shredded young coconut (Kinayod na Buko) is available frozen at most Asian grocery stores.
Indonesian Tropical Crepes with Coconut Sauce
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup shredded young coconut, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter, about
2 mangoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
2 bananas, quartered lengthwise and sliced
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 tablespoons palm sugar
- Crepes: Mix the crepe ingredients until smooth either with a whisk or hand blender.
- Heat an 8" crepe pan to medium high heat.
- Using a silicone pastry brush, brush a little butter over the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons crepe batter and immediately remove the pan from the heat and swirl it so that the batter covers the bottom of the pan in a thin layer.
- Return the pan to the heat and let the crepe cook until lightly browned; turn over and cook for a few seconds.
- Transfer the crepe to a plate and repeat with the remaining crepes, stacking the finished crepes on the plate. You will have 18 crepes.
- Filling: Mix the mango, pineapple, and banana pieces in a small bowl.
- Sauce: Measure the coconut milk in a microwaveable bowl or measuring cup (large to prevent boiling over).
- Add the palm sugar and microwave on high power, stirring every 2 minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
- Assembly: Place 3 crepes on each of six plates; spoon fruit down one side and roll up. Drizzle the coconut sauce over the crepes and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 414 Calories from Fat 172
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 7% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 93 mg
Sodium 113 mg
Total Carbohydrate 53 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 62% Vitamin C 46% Calcium 0% Iron 12%