Banana Pudding is one of the most popular desserts served in the South. Itís easy to make, too, and can be made the night before it needs to be served. Classic Southern banana pudding is made of three components: bananas, cream filling, and vanilla wafers. Itís then topped with either meringue or sweetened whipped cream, depending on the preference of the cook.
Boxed pudding mixes, both cooked and instant are often used, but with the following recipe, homemade filling is almost as fast and is soooo much better. In fact, this filling actually takes only about 15 minutes from start to finish. Iíve found that the best way to make pudding is in the microwave; thereís no danger of scorching, and nobody has to stand at the stove and stir constantly waiting for the mixture to boil. Homemade filling doesnít contain preservatives, either, and I can use organic ingredients if I choose.
If youíre looking for a dessert to serve on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, this Banana Pudding is a great choice, since itís real soul food, and it goes well with most southern dishes. Itís good, however, served all year round.
Southern Banana Pudding
2 cups milk, divided
1/4 cup cornstarch, or 1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
35 to 45 vanilla wafer cookies
Sweetened whipped cream, if desired
- Filling: Place 1 1/2 cups of the milk in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave on high 3-4 minutes or until it is hot.
- Meanwhile, while the milk is heating, whisk together the cornstarch or flour and sugar in a small bowl.
- Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup milk, salt, and eggs; mix until smooth.
- When the milk is hot, whisk the sugar/egg mixture into it, whisking until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the microwave and cook on high power for 2-3 minutes or until boiling.
- Whisk in the butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Assembly: Line a 1 1/2 quart bowl with vanilla wafers.
- Cover with 2 sliced bananas.
- Pour 1/2 of the filling over the bananas.
- Top with a layer of vanilla wafers, the remaining bananas, and the remaining filling.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the filling and cool.
- This pudding can be served either warm, at room temperature, or cold. Top each serving with sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 322 Calories from Fat 98
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 31% Protein 7% Carb. 63%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 82 mg
Sodium 275 mg
Total Carbohydrate 51 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 10% Calcium 0% Iron 5%