Makes about 25-30 cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 bag (8 ounces) thin, short pretzel sticks
1 bag (11 1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Small red candies
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flower, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and cocoa powder. Beat to form a smooth dough.
- Roll a tablespoon-sized ball of dough, and place it on a baking sheet. Arrange 8 pretzel sticks firmly into the dough ball. Continue with the rest of the pretzels and dough.
- Bake until the cookies start to brown around the edges, about 7-10 minutes.
- Lift the cookies from the baking sheets with a spatula, and place on wire cooling racks. Cool completely. Place the racks on sheets of aluminum foil or waxed paper.
- In a double boiler (or the microwave), melt the chocolate chips with vegetable oil.
- Pour the melted chocolate over each cookie. Coat with sprinkles. Press in 2 red candy eyes on the front of the head.