Fresh Fruit Salsa with Baked Cinnamon Sugar Chips is a guiltless dessert that is refreshing and satisfying. Believe it or not, a generous serving of this colorful and delicious treat is only 238 calories with just 3 grams of fat.
Although it can be made year round, Fresh Fruit Salsa is especially good made with fresh local strawberries which always seem to taste better. Preparation time is minimal; the apples don’t need to be peeled, and the kiwis can be prepared in just a minute or two by following the easy steps in a previous Quick Cooking article: How to Peel a Kiwi. Once the salsa is assembled, all that is necessary is to spray flour tortillas with a little water and sprinkle them with a cinnamon sugar mixture. The chips take only about 10 minutes to bake.
This recipe is easy enough for kids, although it’s a good idea to have an adult present while the fruit is being cut. A pizza cutter is ideal for cutting the tortillas into wedges.
Fresh Fruit Salsa with Baked Cinnamon Sugar Chips
2 tablespoons apple jelly
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/4” dice (leave the skin on)
Zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon orange juice (squeezed from the same orange as the zest)
4 kiwis, peeled and chopped
3 cups strawberries, chopped
12 8” flour tortillas
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, mix the apple jelly, brown sugar, apples, orange zest, and orange juice until the apple pieces are thoroughly coated.
- Stir in kiwi and strawberries.
- Set the mixture aside while preparing the chips.
- Spray each tortilla with water.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle the mixture over each tortilla.
- Cut the tortillas into 8 wedges each.
- Place on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 238 Calories from Fat 23
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 10% Protein 10% Carb. 82%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 139 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 92% Calcium 0% Iron 3%