Cinnamon Pecan Shortbread has become a holiday tradition in our family; it simply would not be Christmas without these delicious little cookies. They are always one of the first varieties of Christmas cookies I make each year since they keep extremely well in an airtight container; in fact, the buttery cinnamon flavor actually improves as they sit.
Bar cookies are the quickest cookies to make, since the dough is spread in one pan and cut into individual cookies after baking. If you’re planning to make cookies with children, this is a great recipe – the kids can press the dough into the pan, and they especially love to spread the egg white (with thoroughly scrubbed hands, of course) over the top (I use a pastry brush instead of my hands). They also think it’s fun to press the pecans into the surface of the dough.
These cookies aren’t just for Christmas; they are a perfect not-too-sweet accompaniment to coffee or tea, and make a nice addition to a buffet.
Cinnamon Pecan Shortbread
8 dozen cookies
1 cup butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, separated
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Cream the butter, brown and white sugars, and egg yolk in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, and salt; blend until well-mixed (Dough will be stiff).
- Press the dough evenly in parchment lined 15 x 11 jellyroll pan.
- Beat the egg white with a fork just until foamy.
- Pour the beaten egg white onto the dough and spread evenly over the surface.
- Sprinkle with the pecans and press them in lightly.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set.
- Immediately upon removal from the oven, cut into 48 squares, then each square diagonally into triangles (they break if you try to cut them after they have cooled).
- Cool in pan, then store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 47 Calories from Fat 28
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 61% Protein 4% Carb. 35%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 24 mg
Total Carbohydrate 4 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%