Recipe for Tony Johnson's Swedish Bars
No need to reserve these bars just for the holidays; they are perfect for wedding receptions, parties, and dessert buffets anytime of the year. After one taste, these will become a favorite among your family and friends.
96 very rich and decadent 1” bars
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups chopped pecans
3 cups flaked coconut
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Crust: Mix the butter, sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt in the food processor until crumbly. Alternately, mix the dry ingredients and cut the butter in with a pastry blender.
- Press the crust evenly onto a parchment-lined or lightly buttered 11 x 17” jelly-roll pan.
- Bake 15 minutes until the edges begin to lightly brown.
- While the crust is baking, make the filling: In mixing bowl mix the eggs, flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and vanilla on low speed until the sugar is dissolved. Do not overbeat or beat on high speed as the mixture will thicken and will overflow when in the oven.
- Stir in the pecans and coconut.
- Pour the coconut pecan mixture over the partially baked crust and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven and cool thoroughly.
- Frosting: Whip the cream cheese and butter at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until well mixed, scraping the sides a couple of times. If it's too thick, add a few drops milk or cream.
- Spread on the cooled bars.
- Cut into 1” bars (12 longways and 8 crossways)
Nutrition per Bar:
Calories 114 Calories from Fat 56
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 4% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 64 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.