What dessert is better at a summer barbecue or get-together than cookies? They don’t require plates or silverware, and go perfectly with ice cream and cool puddings. These Chocolate Oatmeal Crunchers are both crunchy and chewy at the same time, and they’re topped with a luscious cream cheese chocolate topping that is easily and quickly drizzled over the tops. They can be made ahead, so if guests are coming, it’s easy to get them baked in the morning when it’s cooler and serve them later that day or even up to a week later (At my house, they don’t last that long).
Perfect for picnics, these cookies travel and keep well. They’re also a good choice to add to your Christmas cookie table, and will hold up perfectly when mailing in care packages.
Save time by using a small scoop - that way the dough takes only a second to make into balls. Drizzling is easily done by dipping a fork in the chocolate mixture and waving it over the cookies. Alternately, transfer the topping to a decorating bag with a small plain tip and pipe it over. Either way, it takes only a minute or two to top all 8 dozen cookies.
8 dozen cookies
1 cup butter – don’t substitute here; the butter taste is very pronounced
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups oats
3 cups cornflakes, no need to crush; the mixer will do it when they're added to the dough
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 3 oz. package cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars; mix in the egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- Measure in the flour, soda, and salt.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and run until the mixture is well-blended.
- With the mixer running, add the oats, cornflakes, and coconut; mix well.
- Using a teaspoon-size scoop, scoop dough, then roll into balls; place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Using a flat-bottomed glass, flatten each ball slightly, dipping the glass in flour if necessary.
- Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- Remove the cookies to cooling racks and cool thoroughly.
- Mix the chocolate chips, whipping cream, and cream cheese in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 2 minutes, let sit 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the topping over the cookies.
- Let the cookies sit at room temperature until the topping has set.
- Store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Cookie
Calories 73 Calories from Fat 34
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 47% Protein 5% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
Sodium 64 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Purchase an Oxo Good Grips Cookie Scoop from Amazon