Making a cake from scratch isnt as much work as you might think. In fact, the following Basic Chocolate Cake takes only 10-15 minutes to put together. The texture of this cake is denser and richer than a boxed cake mix, and because it uses real butter, the taste is incomparable.
The cake is versatile, since it can be baked in 8 or 9 layers, a 9 x 13 pan, a 10 springform pan, a 17 1/2 x 12 jellyroll pan, or two loaf tins. It also makes 24+ cupcakes. So whether you need a plain cake to frost and cut into squares, layers to split and make into a torte, a large sheet cake to cut into small squares for a dessert buffet, or a loaf cake, this recipe is perfect.
For those recipes calling for a cake that is extra dark, an additional square of baking chocolate may be added. A lighter cake can be made by reducing the baking chocolate to 1 1/2 squares instead of 2.
Basic Chocolate Cake
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hottest tap water
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350° .
- Grease and flour 2 9 cake pans; line with parchment. (or a 13 x 9 pan, a 10 springform pan, or 2 loaf pans )
- Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and chocolate.
- Add the flour and salt; mix until smooth.
- Mix the hot water and baking soda; add to the batter, stirring until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched and the cake has separated from the edges of the pan.
- Remove from the oven an place on cooling rack.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and invert the layers onto a cooling rack.
- Using another cooling rack, invert again so that the layers cool right side up.
- Cool thoroughly before frosting.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 221 Calories from Fat 76
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 6% Carb. 60%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
Sodium 201 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 4%