The aroma of gingerbread evokes memories of Christmas’ past, and puts us in the Christmas spirit for the present. Most of us have savored soft gingerbread men, light and flavorful gingerbread cake, and moist gingerbread puddings. But have you ever tasted Gingerbread Popcorn? This easy crunchy popcorn will become a holiday favorite for everyone who loves gingerbread. It’s great for gifts too, and can be packaged in tins or bags decorated with gingerbread men.
The gingerbread flavored coating is cooked quickly in the microwave; no stirring on the stove; no scorching; no boiling over! Once the popcorn is coated, it bakes in a slow oven and is stirred every 15 minutes or so until it is crisp and crunchy. How easy is that?
You’ll want to sample a handful (or two) before sending it out to friends; it’ll be especially good with a warm cup of gingerbread tea.
Crisp & Crunchy Gingerbread Popcorn
24 Servings (about 3/4 cup each)
15 cups plain popcorn, preferably air-popped without oil
1 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Spray 2 13 x 9" pans with non-stick spray.
- Measure 7 1/2 cups of the popcorn into each pan.
- Mix together butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, molasses, salt, ginger, and cinnamon in a large microwaveable bowl (I use my Pyrex 8 cup glass measuring cup).
- Heat on high power for 3 minutes; stir until smooth with a heatproof silicone scraper.
- Return the mixture to the microwave and cook 3 more minutes or until boiling.
- Stir until smooth, then microwave an additional minute.
- Stir in the baking soda; the mixture will foam up.
- Pour half of the mixture over each pan of popped corn in the prepared pans and mix thoroughly.
- Bake both pans at 250° for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes, until the popcorn is glazed and crisp.
- Cool completely, then store in airtight containers.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 71
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 50% Protein 1% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Sodium 153 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%