Southern Sour Cream Pound Cake is dense, buttery, and very flavorful. It is a great basic cake that is delicious on its own. When I’m serving it as is, I like to bake it in a tube or bundt pan. It can be lightly drizzled with a little plain icing, or sprinkled with powdered sugar to make it fancier.
Sometimes I bake this cake in a jellyroll pan so I can cut it into tiny squares to use as dippers for a chocolate fountain. It’s also great cut into larger squares topped with ice cream and fudge sauce, or pie filling and whipped cream.
Sour Cream Pound Cake
1 cup salted butter, softened
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup sour cream
3 cups sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- Spray a 12-cup tube or bundt pan with Baker’s Joy or grease and flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar, beating at medium speed until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Stir in the extracts.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, folding carefully.
- Pour into the prepared pan bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven to a cooling rack and let cool 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges and remove the cake from the pan.
- Let cool thoroughly before cutting.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 264 Calories from Fat 100
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 38% Protein 5% Carb. 57%
Nutrient Amount per % Daily
Total Fat 11 g 17%
Saturated Fat 6 g 29%
Cholesterol 77 mg 26%
Sodium 131 mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 37 g 12%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%