Spinach and Feta Strata With Pine Nuts Recipe
This recipe is high in healthy fats and fiber, proving that eating for a healthy heart can be delicious.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, and chopped
- 3 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 egg
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup toasted, 1" bread cubes (about 2 slices bread)
- 2 Tbs pine nuts
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, oven proof skillet.
- Add the green onions and cook for two minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the spinach, parsley, and feta and stir.
- In a blender, puree the evaporated milk, ricotta cheese, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Add the egg and egg whites and blend until just incorporated into the milk and cheese mixture.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture over the spinach and stir.
- Sprinke the toasted bread cubes over the egg-spinach mixture.
- Bake at 400F for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts over the strata and bake for another 8 minutes, or until the center is set.
Note: Cardiovascular disease claims the lives of almost 500,000 women each year. Incorporating heart healthy dishes into your menus is a smart and simple change you can make. A diet high in fiber and healthy fats is one step toward a healthier heart. Make simple changes such as using evaporated milk as a lower-fat substitute for cream.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.