People go through great lengths to achieve contentment like fasting and getting all fired up in sweat lodges – paying thousands of dollars – to attract success and happiness, a secret they have to pay for. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work as was tragically demonstrated when two people died and nineteen were injured at the now ironically named, Angel Valley Resort in Arizona. This is why I am revealing my free “Self-Stimulus Package” to show you how to be the person you want to be TODAY. Here is a succinct outline of 5 basic steps for daily practice.
- Raise your body temperature with exercise. Make sure to declare an intention for your exercise so that mind and body work together. For example, get on a bike and pedal out your frustrations and toxic resentment. Take a walk focusing on each concerted step to strengthen your legs to lead you to your next happiness. Housework counts, so when you sweep the floor, you sweep away self-doubt.
- Follow a sunny meal plan like the Mediterranean diet rich in vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains and fish. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association you will be less likely to develop depression and you can alleviate it when you feel sad. You are what you eat. Put quality “fuel” in your body to keep energy levels high.
- Clean out clutter and toxins daily whether it is a drawer, a closet, your pocket book, or the mail. You know how you need to get rid of the spoiled food in your refrigerator to make room for healthy nourishment; perform this cathartic cleansing no matter how small and you will clean out mental clutter.
- Create every day. Creative compensation will offset disappointments and loss while it gives you empowerment. Creativity in one aspect of your life transfers to another. Define a creative corner where you can percolate ideas, allowing yourself time and space to flow. Keep a little notebook to jot down ideas.
- Practice self-hypnosis daily. Takes about three minutes and you will feel in balance and optimistic. Inhale two counts through your nose and exhale four counts through your nose. Think with each breath “I now relax my heart. “ Let your imagination lead you to a visually beautiful wholesome place bathed in light and where the air is fresh. Hear the natural sounds of serenity. One of those sounds is your own inner voice telling you, “I am refreshed. I release the staleness.”
For more information on managing your stress and reclaiming your life read my book, Addicted to Stress: A Woman's 7 Step Program to Reclaim Joy and Spontaneity in Life. To listen to archived radio shows with guest experts visit Turn On Your Inner Light Radio Show