Microwave Poppyseed Filling Recipe
If you bake often, you may find it advantageous to purchase an inexpensive coffee grinder to be used exclusively for spices. That way, you can purchase whole spices (which last much longer than those already ground) and grind them fresh for each recipe. That’s what I use for grinding my poppy seeds for this recipe, however, it can also be done in a mortar and pestle.
Microwave Poppy seed Filling
About 2 1/2 cups filling
1 cup poppy seeds
3/4 cup sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 orange
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup hottest tap water
6 tablespoons softened butter
3/4 cup raisins
- Grind the poppy seeds in a spice grinder 2-3 tablespoons at a time, transferring them to a microwaveable container after they are ground.
- Alternately, grind the poppy seeds in a mortar and pestle.
- Add the sugar, lemon and orange zest, lemon juice, water, butter, and raisins.
- Microwave for 5 minutes; the mixture will be boiling.
- Whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the microwave and cook 2-3 more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir well, then cool thoroughly.
- The mixture will continue to thicken as it cools.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 52 Calories from Fat 25
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 48% Protein 5% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 16 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.