Italian Style Quesadilla recipe
The only thing I had in the fridge that was remotely close to bread was white corn tortillas. Unsure of the end result, I skeptically decided to create my own version of garlic bread without the bread. I had to laugh at the thought; how do you create garlic bread without bread?
To my surprise, these little gems turned out not only delicious, but much more healthy for you, too! Extra-virgin olive oil replaces the butter in these Italian-Style Quesadillas, and the fatty cheddar or jack cheese is replaced with a Parmesan/mozzarella combo. I hope your family loves them as much as ours did! Enjoy!
2 white corn tortillas
1/8 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (I did half Parmesan, half mozzarella)
Garlic powder to drizzle
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
pinch sea salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (The kind from a spritzer bottle)
1) Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove for one minute. While skillet is heating, spritz one side of 1 tortilla with the extra virgin olive oil spray. Place tortilla in skillet, oiled-side down in pan.
2) Next, drizzle all of the shredded cheese over the tortilla in the skillet. spread cheese out evenly to cover the center, stretching to the edges of the tortilla.
3) Next, lay the 2nd tortilla down over the cheese-covered tortilla in the skillet. spritz the top of the tortilla with a little more extra virgin olive oil.
4) Next, gently sprinkle a few pinches of each sea salt/ Italian seasoning, and garlic powder over the tortilla.
5) Check underside of bottom tortilla. As soon as it's a golden brown color, flip the entire quesadilla over with a spatula. Continue to cook over medium heat until tortilla is slightly browned. Remove from pan and place onto a wooden cutting board.
6) Slice quesadilla into 4 slices with a pizza roller or knife so that you end up with 4 pizza-shaped quesadilla slices. Serve as an accompaniment to spaghetti, or serve with a warm Italian sauce.
*Recipe makes one serving.
I have also experimented and enjoyed adding the following ingredients to the top of the cheese in my Italian-Style Quesadillas:
Steamed mashed broccoli spears
Black or green olives
Red pepper flakes
Extra Italian seasonings
Bell peppers, raw or sautéed
Zucchini, raw or sautéed
Parmesano Regiano cheese
Soft mozzarella cheese
*Topping & Dipping Suggestions:
Bruschetta topping:tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar
Black bean dip
Spinach artichoke dip
Diced green and black olives
Olive oil & balsamic vinaigrette with Italian seasonings
Roasted smashed garlic (sweeter flavor)
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Kymberly A. Morgan. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Kymberly A. Morgan. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Kymberly A. Morgan for details.