This recipe is super easy and delicious! You can use whatever your favorite meat isóground beef, turkey, or chicken.
To save on fat and calories, you can substitute reduced fat or fat free sour cream and cheeses. For those that have never cooked with reduced fat and fat free itemsódonít knock it until youíve tried it! Itís an easy way to reduce the fat and calories in your familyís diet, without losing the taste.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 2 cups of reduced fat shredded cheese, any flavor
- 1 box of taco shells
- 1 bag of shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes or extra salsa, for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spay your pan with a non stick cooking spary.
- Brown the ground beef over medium high heat for ten minutes, or until cooked through.
- Spray a casserole dish with a non stick cooking spray.
- Spread one layer of salsa in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle one layer of cheese over the salsa.
- Break up four taco shells over the salsa and cheese layers.
- Spread the ground beef over the top of the taco shells.
- Add one more layer of cheese, followed by a layer of salsa to the casserole dish.
- Top with broken up pieces of the remaining taco shells.
- Bake for thirty minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly.
- Serve with bowls of shredded lettuce, sour cream, and diced tomatoes.
Tips for this recipe :
- You can substitute ground turkey, or diced chicken in place of the ground beef.
- If your family likes a lot of spice, add some taco seasoning mix to the ground beef (or other meat if you are substituting).
- You can also leave out the meat and add a layer of beans and corn for a completely different meal.
- This recipe is freezer friendly. If you have family members going in lots of different directions at the same time, consider freezing individual portions. You can take them out and and re-heat them in under thirty minutes.