As a teenager and eager young cook, I wanted to make a delicious dessert for friends and family in honor of Valentine’s Day. To tell the truth, Valentine’s Day was also a great excuse to make a delicious cake.
That same Valentine's Day, I also cooked a dinner that was supposed to be tender, steak fajitas, served on a sizzling platter (just like at restaurants). Let’s just say that we’ll focus on the cake recipe this week, as the dinner went up in smoke (and not the good kind)!
From preparing the cake mix to creating the special “cookie topping”, this Valentine's Day cake recipe provides something for kids of all ages.
The recipe calls for using a heart shaped baking pan, but any baking pan will do--round, bundt, or cupcake pan.
- 1 heart shaped baking pan
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (any variety)
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 Tablespoons of milk
- 1 box of powdered sugar
- Red food coloring
- 1 bag of Oreo Cookies (any variety)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (or to the temperature recommend d on the cake box).
- Spray baking pan with a non stick cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix according to the directions on the box, and bake accordingly.
- While cake bakes, prepare cake frosting(recipe below>:
Valentine Cake Frosting Instructions:
- Soften the butter in the microwave or on the stove top, just enough to easily pour it in the mixing bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar to the softened butter, and blend on slow speed for three to five minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, followed by the vanilla. Mix well.
- Add drops of red food coloring to the frosting and mix well. Start with two drops, and mix well. Add additional drops as needed, until you reach the desired frosting color.
- Spread the frosting over the cake, after the cake has been removed from the oven and cooled.
- Add the Oreo topping (instructions below):
- Divide the Oreo cookies in half.
- Place one half in a plastic bag, seal well, and crumble using your hands, a rolling pin, or your kids.
- After the cake has been frosted, sprinkle the crumbs over the icing.
- Place the other half of Oreo cookies on top of the cake, in any arrangement you or your kids desire.