Iím very excited to introduce you to a new feature on the Cooking for Kids site: Crazy Night Recipes! These recipes are designed for those nights that are just crazy! Crazy night recipes are designed for the nights that you want to feed your kids a healthy meal, without visiting the fast food places again.
Thereís nothing with taking advantage of fast food and pizza. However, if your family has had one too many meals at such establishments, consider trying out these recipes. Most can be prepared in ten minutes by taking advantage of pre-cooked items at the grocery store.
This week, we're taking advantage of your local grocery store's roasted chicken breast. It's the perfect main ingredient for my Chicken and Salsa Scoop recipe.
- 1 cooked roast chicken from the grocery store
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1 bag of shredded cheese, Mexican blend
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 1 bag of Baked Tortilla Scoops
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and discard.
- Place the chicken pieces into a food processor and chop finely (or you can chop it finely yourself).
- Combine the chicken and salsa in a large bowl. Start by adding Ĺ cup of salsa, and then increasing as needed. The salsa should complement the chicken, but not overpower it.
- Spray a casserole dish with a non stick cooking spray.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture in each scoop. Place the scoops in the dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the scoops, and top with diced scallions.
- Bake for five minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Top with a teaspoon of sour cream, or serve it on the side.
- The chicken and salsa mixture can be made ahead and refrigerated until youíre ready to bake.
- This recipe never gets old, because you can use a different flavor of salsa each time.
- If you have family members that have different salsa preferences, you can divide the mixture in half before adding the salsa.
- If you are short on time, simple pour the chips int the baking dish, and spread the chicken topping over the chips. Tops with cheese and scallions befre baking.