This bread is quick and easy since it doesn’t require yeast.
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 ˝ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 ˝ tsp dried oregano
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 Tbs Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2/3 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
- non-stick cooking spray
- < LI>In a large bowl mixed together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- In another bowl whisk together the egg, milk, oil, basil, and oregano.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour.
- Add in the garlic, shallot, Parmesan cheese, and red peppers.
- Coat a bread loaf pan with the cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Note: This is a great make ahead bread. Bake a few loaves and freeze them. A loaf makes a great gift for neighbors, co-workers, or the school librarian. This recipe is vegetarian, low-fat, and diabetic friendly.
The healthy benefits don't just come from the good fat in olive oil, but vitamin B6 and folic acid in the bell peppers. These two B vitamins reduce homocysteine. High homocysteine cause damage to blood vessels and are associated with a greatly increased risk of heart attack.