Italian Red Bell Pepper Bread Recipe
This bread is quick and easy since it doesn’t require yeast.
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 Tbs Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2/3 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
- non-stick cooking spray
- < LI>In a large bowl mixed together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- In another bowl whisk together the egg, milk, oil, basil, and oregano.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour.
- Add in the garlic, shallot, Parmesan cheese, and red peppers.
- Coat a bread loaf pan with the cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Note: This is a great make ahead bread. Bake a few loaves and freeze them. A loaf makes a great gift for neighbors, co-workers, or the school librarian. This recipe is vegetarian, low-fat, and diabetic friendly.
The healthy benefits don't just come from the good fat in olive oil, but vitamin B6 and folic acid in the bell peppers. These two B vitamins reduce homocysteine. High homocysteine cause damage to blood vessels and are associated with a greatly increased risk of heart attack.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.