There are many different types of crochet hook available and sometimes the choice can be overwhelming. Crochet hooks are manufactured from aluminum, steel, resin, acrylic – and, of course, wood.
There are many benefits of wooden crochet hooks, these include:
- Light weight – wooden hooks are light weight and this makes them ideal for crocheters with weak hands or who find working with heavy hooks cumbersome.
- Silky smooth – most wooden crochet hooks are silky smooth which ensures that the yarn slips up and down easily and without catching. Many crocheters find that this helps them to crochet faster as the stitches and loops slide easily over the hook.
- Artisan made – many wooden crochet hooks are hand turned. This means that a wood worker has hand created the hook using ancient and traditional techniques. These hooks combine practicality with beauty and the inner depths of the wood are displayed. Artisan created hooks often feature unusual adornments such as beads, glass or other treasures.
- Custom created hooks – wood workers will often be delighted to create custom made hooks. This might include hooks with thicker handles which are useful for people with arthritis or other ailments. This is the ideal way to own the perfect hook and, if looked after well, is one that will last for many years to come.
Looking After Wooden Crochet Hooks
When well looked after, a wooden crochet hook will give many years of service. There are, however, a few key points to bear in mind that will help to ensure that the hooks remain in tip top condition. These include:
- Don't use wooden hooks with rough materials such as wire. The wire might mark or nick the wood and this will make the hook difficult to use with fine yarns
- Keep the hooks carefully stored when not in use. They will damage if they are wet or stored in a damp environment. Keeping the hooks well stored will also mean that they are always on hand!
- Make a note of what size the wooden hooks are. Some artisan made hooks are supplied without the size and therefore keeping a note of the sizes will help when picking the right hook for a project
Wooden hooks are lovely to work with and are beautiful to look at. They also make a great gift for crocheters and are bound to be long treasured.