These Orange Zucchini Spice Cupcakes are a great way to use up that zucchini in the garden. The taste of orange compliments the spice flavors in these moist cupcakes; they will be requested over and over. It’s a good idea to freeze some grated zucchini so that these cupcakes can be made year round. The frosting is decadent; the butter is quickly browned, then brown sugar, orange peel, and orange juice are added, giving it a rich and buttery flavor.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs.
- Using a Microplane or fine grater, zest the peel from the orange and add it to the mixture.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice; add water if necessary to make 1/2 cup liquid.
- Add the orange juice and vanilla to the sugar mixture and blend well.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl, turn the mixer to low speed, and mix.
- Scrape the sides and mix on medium until well mixed.
- Using a 1/4 cup size scoop, scoop the batter into the paper liners.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes; tilt the cupcakes in the pans and let cool thoroughly or transfer them to cooling racks.
- Frosting:When the cupcakes are cool, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the butter 2-3 minutes until it browns lightly.
- Using a Microplane or fine grater, zest the peel from the orange into the butter mixture.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange and add 1/3 cup to the mixture.
- Continue stirring over medium heat until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth. The frosting may seem a bit thin, but will thicken on standing.
- Working quickly, frost the cupcakes. If the frosting sets up too fast, return it to the heat briefly and whisk.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 249 Calories from Fat 83
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 4% Carb. 63%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 37 mg
Sodium 210 mg
Total Carbohydrate 39 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 11% Calcium 0% Iron 3%