There are hundreds of desserts that require a rolled pastry crust, and some of these desserts are enhanced when the crust is slightly sweet. The following recipe for Basic Sweet Pie Crust can be used interchangeably with any recipe calling for a shortcrust pastry or pie crust. Even though it only contains two teaspoons of sugar, the amount adds just the right amount of sweetness.
This crust is perfect to use for southern cobblers, tarts, and pie recipes with fillings that aren’t overly sweet such as sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie.
Makes enough for a double crust pie
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons shortening
4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in bowl of food processor.
- Add the butter and shortening and pulse 12-15 times until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Turn on the processor and add the ice water, processing just until it forms a ball.
- Using 2/3 of the dough, roll out into a circle 10-12” in diameter.
- Roll the dough loosely around the rolling pin and place over a 9” pie plate; unroll and fit the dough into the plate.
- Pour the filling in the pie shell.
- Roll the remaining dough into a circle slightly larger than the pie plate, wet the bottom crust, and place the circle on top.
- Using a small knife or canapé cutters, make a design on the top crust to vent.
- Bake according to the recipe instructions.
- Unfilled Crusts: If using the dough for two regular unfilled pie crusts, divide the dough in half, fit into two 8” pie plates, add a strip of dough around the edge and crimp, refrigerate 15 minutes, and bake in a preheated 400° oven until lightly browned.
Note: if the dough is warm and difficult to roll out, form it into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 15-20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 88 Calories from Fat 31
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 7% Carb. 57%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 107 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%