Chocolate Veggie Cupcake Recipe
If the garden is over-producing in the zucchini department, these cupcakes are a perfect way to use up the excess. It’s a good idea to pick the zucchini while small, since small to medium size zucchini contain less liquid and little or no seeds. However, if some get too large, simply cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, then grate. While grating the zucchini, it takes very little additional time to do extra and place in portions in the freezer; that way, these cupcakes can be made year round. When using the freezer portions, drain off any excess liquid before using in favorite recipes.
1 1/4 cups butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups grated zucchini, (about 2 medium)
1 cup grated carrots, (about 1 large)
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa, preferably Dutch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line 2 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the zucchini and carrots.
- Place a fine strainer over the mixture.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the strainer.
- Shake the strainer over the creamed mixture.
- Add the yogurt, then turn the mixer to low and beat until well-mixed, scraping the sides occasionally.
- Using a 1/4 cup size ice cream scoop, scoop slightly heaping portions of batter into each muffin cup. Alternately, use a 1/3 cup measuring cup.
- Bake in the preheated oven 18-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan 5 minutes, then tilt the cupcakes or remove them to cooling racks to cool thoroughly.
- When thoroughly cool, frost with your favorite chocolate frosting.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 206 Calories from Fat 96
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 47% Protein 5% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 44 mg
Sodium 272 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 34% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.