No-bake Oatmeal Pecan Cookies have been a classic quick-fix treat for years. Similar recipes are included in almost every community and church cookbook, and they are quick enough that they can be made in record time – a matter of about 15 minutes. They’re also called Boiled Cookies, Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, and Oatmeal Fudge. Old-timers remember when they were even a dessert served in school cafeterias during the early 60’s.
While some recipes for similar cookies call for regular milk, evaporated milk makes the cookies much richer and creamier, not to mention the fact that they set up better. If planning to make these often, measure out 1/2 cup portions from a can of evaporated milk, pour the portions in Ziploc-type bags, and freeze – that way there is no waste and the liquid is pre-measured to save time. As always, real butter is a must since margarine tastes like floor wax and that’s never a good flavor to add to cookies.
Makes about 40 walnut-size cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 cups brown sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup cocoa
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 3/4 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1 cup chopped pecans
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper; set aside.
- Mix the butter, evaporated milk, brown sugar, cocoa,, and salt in a saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring once or twice.
- When the mixture boils, remove the lid, stir well, and let boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla; add the oats and pecans, stirring until well-coated.
- Using a tablespoon-sized scoop, scoop balls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Let the cookies sit at room temperature until set.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 93 Calories from Fat 44
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 47% Protein 6% Carb. 46%
Nutrient Amount per Serving Value
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 92 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%