Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Although most desserts aren’t considered healthy, this one contains sweet potatoes, which, according to the Center for Science in the Pubic Interest (CSPI), ranks #1 in nutrition compared to other vegetables. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotine, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Copper, Folate (one of the B Vitamins), and fiber. So this dessert is actually quasi-healthy and is one that can be eaten with little or no guilt.
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, (about 2 medium), boiled and mashed
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 9" unbaked pie shell
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Beat in the sugar, flour, salt, eggs, and melted butter.
- Continue beating until smooth.
- Slowly mix in the half and half, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake until golden brown and set, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven to a cooling rack. Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 418 Calories from Fat 163
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 6% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 104 mg
Sodium 313 mg
Total Carbohydrate 58 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 351% Vitamin C 33% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.