Easter Egg Bar Cookie Recipe
The traditional plain chocolate eggs which come wrapped in colored foil work well in this recipe. However, Nestles Nest Eggs, available in some of the more popular candy bar flavors, are especially good. Unfortunately, the individually wrapped eggs can be a little tedious to unwrap. If there are kids around, it would be a good idea to convince them that it’s fun to unwrap the eggs – let them eat a few – and other than that, these are quick and easy to make. Alternately, use the candy coated eggs made by Cadbury and Hershey’s (pictured); since they don’t requiring unwrapping, these are good for the cook in a hurry.
Chocolate Easter Egg Bars
1 cup pecans
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold butter, (1 1/2 sticks)
2 packages (14.9 ounce) Nestle Nest Eggs, any flavor, or mini chocolate eggs, or Cadbury Mini Eggs
2 cups flaked coconut
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a 13 x 9" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven to cool.
- Measure the sugar, flour, and salt into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse to mix.
- Add the toasted pecans and process until the nuts are finely chopped.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add them to the mixture; pulse until the butter is incorporated and the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Press the mixture evenly onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile unwrap the eggs.
- Remove the crust from the oven and arrange the eggs evenly on top of the crust.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the eggs.
- Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the coconut.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake 25-30 minutes or until the coconut is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven to a cooling rack; cool completely before cutting into 32 bars.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 300 Calories from Fat 144
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 4% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 136 mg
Total Carbohydrate 36 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 19 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.