Pineapple Cheese Bars are perfect when you want a refreshing not-too-sweet dessert or snack. They have a buttery, crisp crust, a creamy tart-sweet filling, and a crispy coconut topping. I often include these on dessert buffets and cookie trays.
I first tasted these fabulous bars at a cooking class put on by our local gas company about 30 years ago. For me, it was love at first bite. In fact, I started making them every few days for about a month and eating them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner because I couldn’t get enough.
Several years later, when I could finally think about eating them again, I started to make an occasional batch and shared most with family and friends, (allowing myself 2 or 3 bars max) always to raves and requests for the recipe.
Pineapple Cheese Bars are best when served the same day they are made since the crust begins to soften after sitting. That shouldn’t be a problem, however, since they usually disappear quickly.
Pineapple Cheese Bars
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, well drained
1 cup shredded coconut
1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Crust: Mix the flour and sugar, then cut in the butter until it resembles cornmeal.
- Press the mixture into a parchment lined 9 x 13" pan.
- Bake at 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Filling: While the crust is baking, mix filling ingredients except pineapple until smooth.
- Stir in pineapple and pour over baked crust.
- Mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the filling.
- Return to the oven and bake 20 minutes or until filling is set and coconut is golden brown.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.
- Store in the refrigerator; they are much better if served cold.
Note: These cookies are much better if served the same day they are made. Although edible and still good after that, the crust starts to soften.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 75 Calories from Fat 42
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 56% Protein 5% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 16 mg
Sodium 43 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 1%