Recipe for Individual Chocolate Orange Soufflés
I like to serve Chocolate Orange Soufflés with Classic Crème Anglaise , but they can also be served with a thin custard sauce such as Bird’s, sweetened whipped cream, or even ice cream. These soufflés cannot be served with frozen whipped topping (there’s no reason to make the effort to prepare a fabulous dessert and ruin it with a mixture of disgusting chemicals, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, and refined sugar that doesn’t even remotely resemble whipped cream).
Individual Chocolate Soufflés
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (about 1 cup)
2/3 cup butter
4 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons orange liqueur or orange flavored coffee syrup
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons superfine sugar (if you don’t have superfine, you can just put regular sugar in the food processor and process until fine; you may also use regular sugar, but the results won’t be as smooth)
Powdered sugar, for dusting
Thin strips of orange zest for garnish
- Generously butter eight 1/3 cup ramekins.
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Sprinkle each with a little superfine sugar and tap out any excess. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a microwaveable bowl; microwave on high power 1 1/2 minutes and stir. If the chocolate isn’t melted after stirring, microwave additional time in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and orange liqueur.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate clean, grease-free bowl until frothy.
- With the beater running, add the cream of tartar and gradually sprinkle in the sugar.
- Continue beating until the whites are glossy and stiff.
- Stir spoonfuls of the whites into the chocolate mixture and fold them together, being careful not to deflate the whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dishes just to the brim; don’t overfill or the soufflés will fall over the ramekins and burn on the baking sheet. (At this point, the dishes can sit up to 1 hour at room temperature before baking).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until risen and set, but still slightly soft and jiggly in the center.
- Dust with powdered sugar, sprinkle with orange zest, and serve immediately with Crème Anglaise , sweetened whipped cream, or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 463 Calories from Fat 330
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 71% Protein 9% Carb. 18%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 37 g
Saturated Fat 20 g
Cholesterol 363 mg
Sodium 240 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 23% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 14%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.