When a caramel sauce is needed, it’s nice to know that a good one can be put together in just a few minutes. This Basic Caramel Sauce can be made quickly in the microwave. Alternately, it can be done on the stovetop. Directions are given below for both methods.
This is a good sauce for ice cream, as well as for drizzling on cakes, cheesecakes, or puddings. Since caramel and chocolate go well together, this is a good choice to pour over Brownie Sundaes along with either Decadent Chocolate Truffle Sauce, or Hot Fudge Toppings. Basic Caramel Sauce will keep a week or two if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Microwave for 30 seconds or so before serving.
Basic Caramel Sauce
Makes about 2 cups or 12 servings
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Microwave Directions: Measure the brown sugar and butter in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes; stir well.
- Add the cream and microwave 1 minute.
- Stir well and microwave an additional 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is boiling.
- Stir well and add the vanilla. Cool.
- Stovetop Directions: Whisk brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts.
- Whisk in the cream and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If the sauce develops a few sugar crystals, microwave for 30 seconds to a minute and stir.
- This sauce will keep for up to two weeks; transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 153 Calories from Fat 102
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 67% Protein 1% Carb. 33%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 86 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%