According to the Churchill Downs Website, the Mint Julep has been the traditional drink served at the Kentucky Derby for almost a century. The Kentucky Derby is held on the first Saturday of May each year. Even if youíre not planning to attend the actual race, itís a perfect excuse to invite a few friends over and have a party. This cheesecake captures the flavors of the famous mint julep drink and makes a fabulous dessert for the Kentucky Derby buffet table.
Since this is a Kentucky event, itís only fair that the bourbon in this cheesecake be Kentucky Bourbon. Fresh mint is probably growing in the garden, but if not, itís available at most grocery stores. Coffee syrup is readily available at larger grocery stores and specialty stores; itís available in dozens of flavors. If you canít find it, substitute mint jelly or boil 1/3 cup water with 1/3 cup sugar until the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is starting to thicken; remove from the heat, add a handful of fresh mint, let cool thoroughly, and strain.
Kentucky Mint Julep Cheesecake
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
3 8 oz. packages cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Kentucky Bourbon
2 tablespoons mint flavored coffee syrup
2 teaspoons mint extract
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mint jelly
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
Fresh mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350į.
- Spray a 10" springform pan with non-stick spray, line with parchment, and spray again.
- In food processor mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 9 minutes.
- Blend cream cheese, sugar, eggs, bourbon, mint coffee syrup, mint extract, flour, and sour cream in food processor until smooth.
- Pour into the crust-lined pan and bake for one hour to one hour and 15 minutes or until set.
- Chill before removing from pans.
- Cut into 16 wedges.
- Spoon about 1/2 tablespoon of mint jelly over each wedge of cheesecake
- Pipe whipped cream onto each piece and top with a spring of mint.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 202
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 62% Protein 7% Carb. 25%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 114 mg
Sodium 205 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 12 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 5%