In a hurry? This Press-in Tart and Pie Crust is quick and easy since itís mixed right in the tart or pie pan. It is then pressed over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. While the finished shell is not quite as pretty as a rolled crust, it tastes just as good and is very flaky. Besides, it will be covered up with filling, so the cook is the only one who knows that it isnít gorgeous!
This simple crust is a good recipe for beginning cooks. Itís also great for kids who are just learning to cook, since there are only a few ingredients and kids seem to like to use their hands to press the dough into the pan. There are small dough rollers available in cooking stores that you may use to get the dough a little more even if you like, but it isnít necessary; hands do just fine.
Makes 1 8 or 9 inch tart or pie shell
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
5 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons ice water
- Measure the flour, salt, shortening, and butter into a tart or pie pan.
- Using a large fork, mix the shortening and butter thoroughly into the flour and salt.
- If itís easier, use your hands to mix
- When the shortening and butter are about the size of small peas, add the water and stir until it just holds together.
- Make sure you donít overmix. Overmixing toughens the dough.
- With floured hands, press as evenly as possible over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- If making a baked shell, place the crust in the freezer while the oven heats to 425į.
- When the oven is hot, prick the shell with a fork and bake until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes.
- If making a pie with filling, place the crust in the freezer while you prepare the filling and heat the oven to the temperature called for in the recipe.
- Fill the pie and bake as the recipe directs.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 166 Calories from Fat 111
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 67% Protein 4% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 23 mg
Sodium 234 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%