Sometimes the plainest looking cookies are the best, which is definitely the case with these Italian Ricotta Drops. While they arenít particularly beautiful, these cookies have a soft texture with a delicious ricotta flavor. Once guests discover these tasty little gems, they seem to disappear immediately from holiday cookie trays and buffets.
The recipe for Italian Ricotta Drops makes a lot of cookies in a relatively short amount of time. Donít be tempted to halve it, since there are never enough; one taste and itís hard to stop at just one.
Of course Italian Ricotta Drops arenít only for Christmas, they can be made all year round, either omitting the sprinkles altogether or changing them to fit various holidays.
About 10 dozen cookies
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup milk, or enough to make a glaze
Sprinkles or non-pareils
- Preheat the oven to 350į.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and ricotta cheese; beat well.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and baking soda; mix well.
- Scoop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Briefly dipping the scoop in a cup of water every 4 or 5 cookies will help the thick, sticky dough come out of the scoop easier, and the finished cookies will be more uniform in size. If a scoop isnít available, use two teaspoons to drop the dough onto the baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until set, but not brown.
- Transfer to cooling rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix the glaze ingredients until smooth.
- When the cookies have cooled, dip the tops into the glaze. Add sprinkles before the glaze dries.
- When the glaze has dried, store the cookies in an airtight container for up to a week; freeze for longer storage.
Amount Per Cookie
Calories 70 Calories from Fat 20
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 28% Protein 6% Carb. 66%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 47 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%