Microwave Lemon Dessert Sauce is versatile and can be served on dozens of great desserts. Itís an especially good sauce for Old Fashioned Gingerbread; itís great on puddings, cakes, cheesecakes, or any dessert that can be enhanced by a lemon sauce. Itís even good over ice cream.
Since itís cooked in the microwave, this easy sauce can be made in less than 10 minutes. A Microplane makes quick work of zesting the lemon; itís a must-own kitchen gadget and can be purchased at most department and discount stores. It can also be purchased on-line from Amazon (see links at the bottom of this article).
This delicious Lemon Dessert Sauce can be served warm or cold, and, if made ahead, can be reheated easily in the microwave for serving.
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (if planning to serve cold, reduce the cornstarch by half)
1 medium lemon
3/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons butter
- Whisk the sugar, cornstarch, and salt until well-mixed.
- Grate the zest from the lemon and add it to the sugar mixture along with the cold water; whisk until smooth.
- Microwave on high power 2 minutes; remove from the microwave and whisk.
- Return the mixture to the microwave and cook 2 minutes more, or until it the mixture is clear, thickened and boiling.
- Remove from the microwave and squeeze the juice (there should be about 1/3 cup juice) from the lemon into the mixture.
- Whisk the sauce until smooth.
- Whisk in the butter and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 47 Calories from Fat 17
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 37% Protein 1% Carb. 62%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 44 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 0%
Purchase a Microplane Grater/Zester from Amazon