During the zucchini season, it seems there’s always tons in the garden, tons on the kitchen counter waiting to be used, and tons being left on neighbor’s doorsteps. I like to use the tender small zucchinis in vegetable dishes, and save the larger, tougher zucchinis for zucchini cake and zucchini bread. This basic zucchini cake (zucchini bread when baked in loaf pans – the recipe is the same) is moist and delicious, especially when frosted with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Basic Zucchini Cake
2-3 cups zucchini, finely grated and packed
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray 2 9” round cake pans, 1 13 x 9” dripper pan, 1 11 x 17” jellyroll pan, 2 standard loaf pans, 1 12 cup bundt pan, or 1 9 or 10” springform pan with Baker’s Joy, or grease and flour; line the bottom with parchment (except the bundt pan).
- Alternately, place liners in 24 muffin cups.
- Place the eggs, zucchini, oil, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and combine.
- Add the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and mix until the ingredients are combined.,/li>
- Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed and beat until well mixed.
- Pour into the prepared pan(s). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean: about 30-35 minutes for 9” rounds, 35-40 minutes for 13 x 9” dripper pan, 20-25 minutes for 11 x 17” jellyroll pan, 55-60 minutes for loaf pans, 60-65 minutes for bundt pan, 60-65 minutes for springform pan, or 15-20 minutes for cupcakes.
- Remove from the oven; cool 10 minutes then remove from the pan(s) (except cupcakes may be removed after 5 minutes).
- Let cool completely on racks.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting
Amount Per Serving
Calories 324 Calories from Fat 134
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 5% Carb. 54%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 237 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 3%