Creepy Halloween Centipedes Recipe
These bugs are kid-friendly and can be made with minimum adult supervision. It’s always a good idea to have an adult around while kids are using the microwave, but other than that, the kids can do everything by themselves. (For a great list of Cooking Rules for Kids, visit Bella’s website, Isabella Cooks.)
The kids can use their imagination for decorating these centipedes; if mini chocolate chips are available, they can be sprinkled on the top to make spotted centipedes. Black sanding sugar adds a black sparkle. M&M’s can be used in bright colors for eyes, or red cinnamon candies can also be used as eyes. Black licorice strings can be used for antennas.
36 Creepy Halloween Centipedes
1 12 oz. package butterscotch chips, (2 cups)
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cups salted peanuts
5 cups chow mein noodles
Reeses's Pieces, for eyes
Black sanding sugar, (optional)
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper.
- Mix the butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a microwaveable container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Stir the mixture until melted, microwaving in 20 second increments if the chips aren't fully melted.
- In a large bowl, mix the peanuts and chow mein noodles.
- Pour the butterscotch mixture over the chow mein noodle mixture and stir until well-coated.
- Spoon the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets in log shapes (centipede shapes).
- Pull a few noodles out on each side to resemble legs.
- Press two Reese's Pieces into the coating at the front of each centipede for eyes.
- Sprinkle lightly with sanding sugar if using.
- Let the centipedes sit in the refrigerator or a cool place for a few minutes to set. Alternately, they will set up at room temperature, but it takes an hour or two.
- After they are set, the centipedes can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for several weeks.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 135 Calories from Fat 78
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 58% Protein 10% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 23 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
You Should Also Read:
Other Quick Halloween Desserts
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.