Cherry Chip Cookie Wreaths are delicious chewy cookies that require no rolling. The dough is simply scooped onto the cookie sheet and quickly formed by hand into wreaths. After baking, the wreaths are dipped into a frosting glaze and sprinkled with decorations. Nothing could be easier, and since these cookies are attractive (as well as yummy), they’ll be a hit on cookie trays and holiday buffets.
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup oats, preferably quick cooking
1 cup coconut
1 cup crisp rice cereal
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped and drained on paper towels
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup soft butter
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
Green paste food coloring
Colored sprinkles, non-pareils, and/or cinnamon red hots
1/4" wide red ribbon
- Heat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar, and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add oil, vanilla, almond extract, and egg; beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in oats, coconut, cereal, and chocolate chips; mix well and stir in cherries.
- Scoop 1/4 cup size balls onto parchment-lined baking sheets at least 3" apart.
- Form the balls into wreath shapes, poking large holes in the middle (as the wreaths bake, they spread and the middle will fill in if it isn't big enough).
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. If the centers have filled in, immediately use a knife to re-shape the center holes while the cookies are very hot.
- Let the wreaths sit on the baking sheet 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks.
- Glaze: Mix the glaze ingredients, adding enough green paste coloring to tint the glaze bright green. The glaze should be thin enough for excess to run slowly off the cookies, but thick enough for a thin layer to adhere to them; whisk until smooth.
- To decorate, dip the tops of the cookies into the glaze and let the excess run off.
- Place on a rack and sprinkle with decorations.
- Let the cookies dry thoroughly.
- When dry, tie ribbons around the top of the wreaths.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 268 Calories from Fat 124
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 3% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Sodium 159 mg
Total Carbohydrate 34 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 3%