Derby Day is held on the first Saturday in May. Even if you’re not into horseracing, you’ll want to serve traditional Kentucky food on that day; in fact, it’s a great excuse to have a party. This incredible Kentucky Jam Cake is an heirloom recipe from my 92 year old mother-in-law, who has lived in Kentucky her entire life and has been making this cake for over 70 years. She is an amazing cook and every time I make this cake there are lots of raves and no leftovers.
Kentucky Jam Cake with Caramel Frosting
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, separated
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup blackberry jam
6 tablespoons flavored coffee syrup, (blackberry or caramel), blackberry liqueur, or red wine
1 double batch Old Fashioned Caramel Frosting
1 cup walnut halves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line 3 9-inch round cake pans with parchment and spray with non-stick spray; alternatively, grease and flour.
- In the large bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks and beat until fluffy.
- Combine the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice; turn the mixer on low speed and add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and jam; mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks; fold them into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Poke a few holes in each layer with a fork.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons flavored coffee syrup, or blackberry liqueur, or red wine evenly over each layer.
- Spread caramel frosting between each layer and on top and sides of the cake.
- Press walnut halves decoratively on frosting.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 522 Calories from Fat 182
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 5% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 91 mg
Sodium 322 mg
Total Carbohydrate 79 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 8%