Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Guest Author - Danielle HollisterThis site needs an editor - click to learn more!
- "Teach only love for that is what you are."
-- A Course In Miracles
- "There is a law that man should love his neighbor as himself. In a few hundred years it should be as natural to mankind as breathing or the upright gait; but if he does not learn it he must perish."
-- Alfred Adler
- "The Impossible Generalized Man today is the critic who believes in loving those unworthy of love as well as those worthy --yet believes this only insofar as no personal risk is entailed. Meaning he loves no one, worthy or no. This is what makes him impossible."
-- Nelson Algren
- "In real love you want the other person's good. In romantic love, you want the other person."
-- Margaret Anderson
- "Love is a force more formidable than any other. It is invisible -- it cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any material possession could."
-- Barbara De Angelis
- "Love is made by two people, in different kinds of solitude. It can be in a crowd, but in an oblivious crowd."
-- Louis Aragon
- "Oh, love is real enough; you will find it someday, but it has one archenemy -- and that is life."
-- Jean Anouilh Ardele
- "Love, by its very nature, is unworldly, and it is for this reason rather than its rarity that it is not only apolitical but anti-political, perhaps the most powerful of all anti-political human forces."
-- Hannah Arendt
- "Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love."
- "Love is the victim's response to the rapist."
-- Ti-Grace Atkinson
- "What I needed most was to love and to be loved, eager to be caught. Happily I wrapped those painful bonds around me; and sure enough, I would be lashed with the red-hot pokers or jealousy, by suspicions and fear, by burst of anger and quarrels."
-- St. Augustine
- "Not all of us have to possess earthshaking talent. Just common sense and love will do."
-- Myrtle Auvil
- "For a crowd is not company; and faces are but a gallery of pictures; and talk but a tinkling cymbal, where there is no love."
-- Francis Bacon
- "The sweetest joy, the wildest woe is love."
-- Pearl Bailey
- "Do you want to know a good way to fall in love? Just associate with all your pleasant experiences with someone, and disassociate from all the unpleasant ones."
-- Richard Bandler
- "Love is just a system for getting someone to call you darling after sex."
-- Julian Barnes
- "If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
-- Lynda Barry
- "It is unfortunately very true that, without leisure and money, love can be no more than an orgy of the common man. Instead of being a sudden impulse full of ardor and reverie, it becomes a distastefully utilitarian affair."
-- Charles Baudelaire
- "When we understand that man is the only animal who must create meaning, who must open a wedge into neutral nature, we already understand the essence of love. Love is the problem of an animal who must find life, create a dialogue with nature in order to experience his own being."
-- Ernest Becker
- "Love is the river of life in the world."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
- "Honor the ocean of love."
-- George De Benneville
- "And you are to love those who are your aliens for you yourselves were aliens in Egypt. [Deuteronomy 10:19]"
- "Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. [I Corinthians]"
- "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. [Roman 13:9]"
- "Love seeketh not itself to please, nor for itself hath any care, but for another gives its ease, and builds a Heaven in Hell's despair."
-- William Blake
- "Love matches are made by people who are content, for a month of honey, to condemn themselves to a life of vinegar."
-- Marguerite Gardiner Blessington
- "A proof that experience is of no use, is that the end of one love does not prevent us from beginning another."
-- Paul Bourget
- "If I place love above everything, it is because for me it is the most desperate, the most despairing state of affairs imaginable."
-- Andre Breton
- "When first we met we did not guess that Love would prove so hard a master."
-- Robert Bridges
- "All the little emptiness of love!"
-- Rupert Brooke
- "Don't hold to anger, hurt or pain. They steal your energy and keep you from love."
-- Leo Buscaglia
- "Man's love is of man's life a part; it is a woman's whole existence. In her first passion, a woman loves her lover, in all the others all she loves is love."
-- Lord Byron
- "In love, as in gluttony, pleasure is a matter of the utmost precision."
-- Italo Calvino
- "Love is a chain of love as nature is a chain of life."
-- Truman Capote
- "Love is not altogether a delirium, yet it has many points in common therewith."
-- Thomas Carlyle
- "You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving."
-- Amy Carmichael
- "Everybody forgets the basic thing; people are not going to love you unless you love them."
-- Pat Carroll
- "It is difficult to lay aside a confirmed passion."
- "Better to have loved a short man than never to have loved a tall."
-- David Chambless
- "The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, and gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we shall have discovered fire."
-- Pierre Teilhard De Chardin
- "Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all."
-- Gilbert K. Chesterton
- "Every day I live I am more convinced that the waste of life lies in the love we have not given, the powers we have not used, the selfish prudence that will risk nothing and which, shirking pain, misses happiness as well."
-- Mary Cholmondeley
- "You can't put a price tag on love, but you can on all its accessories."
-- Melanie Clark
- "Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship, never."
-- Charles Caleb Colton
- "Love is a tyrant sparing none."
-- Pierre Corneille
- "Love - THE FEELING - is a fruit of love, the verb."
-- Stephen R. Covey
- "Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell."
-- Joan Crawford
- "Love touched her heart, and lo! It beats high, and burns with such brave hearts."
-- Richard Crawshaw
- "Love is the extra effort we make in our dealings with those whom we do not like and once you understand that, you understand all. This idea that love overtakes you is nonsense. This is but a polite manifestation of sex. To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny."
-- Quentin Crisp
- "I love you, not for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you."
-- Roy Croft
- "The way to a woman's heart is through your wallet."
-- Frank Dane
- "Love makes the wildest spirit tame, and the tamest spirit wild."
-- Alexis Delp
- "Do everything with so much love in your heart that you would never want to do it any other way."
-- Yogi Desai
- "I adore himÖ I have never been so happy. I have real love."
-- Princess of Wales Diana
- "For in the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught."
-- Baba Dioum
- "The magic of first love is our ignorance that it can never end."
-- Benjamin Disraeli
- "Love, all alike, no season knows, nor clime, nor hours, days, months, which are the rags of time."
-- John Donne
- "Love is a ocean of emotions entirely surrounded by expenses."
-- Lord Drewar
- "On the last analysis, then, love is life. Love never faileth and life never faileth so long as there is love."
-- Henry Drummond
- "Love works a different way in different minds, the fool it enlightens and the wise it blinds."
-- John Dryden
- "We only love truly once. It is the first time and succeeding passions are less uncontrolled."
-- Du Coeur
- "The pain of love is the pain of being alive. It is a perpetual wound."
-- Maureen Duffy
- "To love one child and to love all children, whether living or dead --somewhere these two loves come together. To love a no-good but humble punk and to love an honest man who believes himself to be an honest man --somewhere these, too, come together."
-- Marguerite Duras
- "All mankind loves a lover."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- " We always come back to our first love."
|Under the Starlight|
Never miss a thing. Join Thrillist -- the daily shot of everything you need to know.
Sign up now
-- it's free and easy
Content copyright © 2015 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact