Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Pita Pocket with Grilled Flank Steak
I always want something different than the normal holiday fare. Iím not so much into the burgers and franks. I absolutely love grilled, marinated flank steaks. I first had this lovely dish when I was in High School. I had it at a church dinner. The Pastor was a professional Chef (Remind me to share with you the fab-u-lous Sweet Potato Pie recipe for the holidays! Yum!!!)
This is a perfect dish for any time of the week. Itís great for dinner or lunch. Itís a quick fix that you will use over and over again. Trust me, itís that good! Promise!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
1 Flank Steak (1-Ĺ lbs)
1 Green Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
1 Red Pepper
1 Large Red onion
1 Teaspoon Salt and ľ Teaspoon Pepper
1 Cup of your favorite bottle of Balsamic Vinaigrette
Ĺ Cup orange juice
1 Teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced (must have)
Gallon size zip baggie
I donít know about you, but I have quite a few people in my crew!! This will serve between 4-6 people. It depends on you and your companyís appetite. You can always double the recipe.
1. In gallon size baggie, pour in balsamic vinaigrette, orange juice, mince garlic. Add salt, pepper, and ginger
2. Cut steak into 6 pieces, place in marinade. Massage the steak in the marinade before sealing the baggie (1 minute) Seal the baggie and placed in shallow dish. Marinate for at least two hours (best results overnight)
3. Slice peppers and onions into thin strips, set to the side
4. Spray grilling pan with grilling spray. Be sure your heat is at medium-high. Remove steaks from marinade and grill on each side for 6-8 minutes (or to your preferred doneness) Allow steak to rest for at least ten minutes. Set to the side.
5. Toss in onions and peppers, slightly warming through. They should still have a crunch.
6. After ten minutes, slice steaks across the grain.
Serve with warm pita bread.
Hereís a delicious quick sauce:
Ĺ Cup Sour Cream
Ĺ Cup Mayo
ľ Heavy Grain Mustard
ľ Pureed Horseradish
Pinch of salt and pepper
Mix well. Goes great over the steak.
A wonderful side dish to accompany:
Cherry Tomato and Fresh Spinach Salad
2 pints of Cherry tomatoes
2 pounds of fresh Baby Spinach
4 oz of crumbled feta cheese
Ĺ cup of olive oil
Ĺ cup of red wine vinegar
1 clove of garlic, minced
A pinch of salt and pepper
1. Halve tomatoes and rinse and dry spinach
2. Combine oil, vinegar minced garlic, salt and pepper (Best if mixed in a wooded salad bowl; it holds the flavor well)
3. Toss in tomatoes and spinach. Coat well.
4. Add feta over top, lightly tossing.
Content copyright © 2015 by Ruthe McDonald. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Ruthe McDonald. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Ruthe McDonald for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.