Looking for a holiday cookie recipe that’s easy and makes dozens of cookies? Hazelnut Sandies can be made quickly – especially when a small tablespoon sized scoop is available. They contain orange peel which complements the luscious hazelnuts, and they have a sandy texture. These cookies are popular with young and old.
For Christmas, these cookies can be made festive by using red or green sugar to flatten them.
8 dozen cookies
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cold butter
1 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked, and coarsely chopped
Sugar or red and green colored sugar for holiday time
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In large bowl, cream the granulated sugar, powdered sugar, butter, oil, vanilla, orange peel, and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and nutmeg; mix well.
- Stir in the hazelnuts.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough, roll into balls, and place on parchment-lined or greased baking sheets.
- If dough is too soft to roll, refrigerate until firm enough to shape.
- Dip the bottom of a glass in sugar and press each cookie, flattening slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Transfer to cooling racks to cool thoroughly.
- Store in an airtight container up to 3 weeks, or freeze for longer storage.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 82 Calories from Fat 46
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 56% Protein 4% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 56 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Purchase a cookie scoop from Amazon:
Oxo Good Grips Cookie Scoop
Wilton Red Cookie Scoop
Fox Run Stainless Steel 1-1/8-Inch Ice Cream/Cookie Dough Scoop
Fox Run Stainless Steel 1-5/8-Inch Ice Cream/Cookie Dough Scoop
Fox Run Stainless Steel 1-3/8-Inch Ice Cream/Cookie Dough Scoop