Local fresh apricots are available through the summer, and can be eaten plain or used in desserts, cakes, pies, salads, and of course jams and jellies. For cooks in a hurry, apricots are a good choice, since they don’t need to be peeled and are split and pitted easily. This delicious Apricot Zucchini Crumble uses fresh apricots to advantage, and as a bonus calls for zucchini, which is most likely in the garden waiting to be used. Since the zucchini is quickly peeled before being diced, it is not recognizable, so those who profess to hate zucchini will still love this Apricot Zucchini Crumble.
Apricots contain Vitamins A and C, so even though this is dessert, there are some valuable nutrients contained within. In fact, this crumble even contains much needed fiber. The zucchini dices absorb the flavor of the apricots and other ingredients; they add body to the dessert and stay crisp tender. It will be one zucchini secret that is easy to keep.
Crumbles are very popular in Great Britain, so if a Harry Potter party is in the making, this dessert is a great choice. Make sure it’s served with plenty of freshly whipped heavy cream or highest quality ice cream.
2 pounds fresh apricots, washed, pitted, and quartered
1 pound zucchini, peeled and diced
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 small lemon
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
- Preheat the oven 350°.
- Mix the apricots and zucchini in a deep 8 x 8 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the sugar and flour over, then mix.
- Finely grate the rind of the lemon over the mixture, then squeeze 1/2 of the lemon over the fruit. Reserve the other half for another use.
- In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients until crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly over the apricot-zucchini mixture.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 282 Calories from Fat 110
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 5% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 122 mg
Total Carbohydrate 40 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 72% Vitamin C 34% Calcium 0% Iron 7%