The beehive hairstyle surfaced in the late 50’s and early 60’s. At that time it took hours at the salon to achieve. It required a wet roller set, time under the dryer, and tons of teasing for control and staying power. Today’s version is easier to produce, although you may still require the assistance of a hairdresser or a talented friend.
This retro version of the updo is sleek and sophisticated. It is the perfect accessory for an elegant prom dress or stunning wedding gown.
The style shown here is the traditional smooth and sleek beehive. It is easiest to create with shoulder length hair that is all one length but also works in hair with a few layers.
- Use body building shampoo and conditioner for easier handling.
- Towel blot your hair and apply firm hold styling foam or styling gel. Start applying it at the root area and extend it out to the ends.
- Blow your hair dry creating as much body as possible.
- When your hair is thoroughly dry, spray it lightly with flexible hold hair spray. This will give you more control when working with it.
- It may be helpful to set your hair on large hot rollers for extra body but is not always necessary.
- Divide your hair in two sections from ear to ear across the top of your head. Clip the front section to keep it out of the way.
- Brush the back section into a high French twist, pulling the ends to the crown of your head. Slide large bobby pins down through the fold of the twist attaching it firmly to the back of your head. Spray it with hairspray. Look here for help in creating a French twist.
- .Form a low side part in the front section. Brush the light side back into the French twist and pin with bobby pins.
- Brush the heavy side from the side part, across your forehead and sweep it around the twist. Swirl the ends into a puff at the top of the twist. This can be made by curling the ends around in a small circle and pinning the ends underneath.
- Finish your style by smoothing any loose ends or fly-aways that you find. Spray with firm-hold hairspray.
If your hair is very fine or is layered, tease it lightly all over. Spray it with flexible hold hairspray and lightly smooth it into the style.
EBook - Updos for Every Occassion
Updos for parties, proms, weddings or the office.
Follow these simple instructions to begin creating them yourself!
Ebook - Perfect Wedding Hair
Your wedding day is your special time
and should be just the way you want it to be, a reflection of you.
"Perfect Wedding Hair" is over 48 pages of great hairstyles and ideas for your wedding.