Peanut Butter Cookies
The amount below makes about 70 cookies (the right batch size for my family!), and is based on a 40 oz jar of peanut butter. If you need fewer it isn’t necessary to divide each ingredient strictly in half. The recipe will work with the amounts given in parenthesis.
- 40 oz Jar of Peanut butter (2 Cups for half batch)
- 2 Cups Packed Brown Sugar (1 Cup for half batch)
- 2 Large Eggs (*Same for half batch, or use 1 egg + ¼ Cup applesauce)
- ½ Cup Applesauce (Omit for half batch or see * above)
- 2 tsp Baking Soda (1 tsp for half batch)
- White Sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Use nonstick cookie sheets, or line a regular cookie sheet with parchment paper. (If neither is available, spray cookie sheet lightly with cooking spray.)
- Stir Baking Soda into Applesauce or Eggs.
- Mix all ingredients except White Sugar in a large bowl until well-blended. There should be no lumps of unincorporated sugar, pockets of applesauce or streaks of egg, and the dough will be firm enough to handle and roll.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls in sugar and place on cookie sheet. Press with thumbs or make crosshatch pattern with fork. (You can skip rolling and pressing and just plop like other cookies, but they won’t be as pretty.)
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Cool for a minute or two on the sheet, then transfer to cooling rack.
And that, my friends, is that! You can play with the flavor a bit by adding a teaspoon or so of vanilla and/or a teaspoon or so of cinnamon. Also, this dough takes mix-ins quite well. Just add any dry addition in with the rest of the ingredients. Want to feel like you’re sort of heart-healthy? Add a cup of Quick Oats. Chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit or small candies go nicely as well.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Jamie Rose. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Jamie Rose. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Jamie Rose for details.