Friends and family of parents who are in the middle of the adoption process, or who have recently finalized an adoption often wonder the best way to lend support and a helping hand. Gift cards are an invaluable tool to potential adoptive parents. However, "Adoption Time" gift cards don’t require money—only your time!
Gift cards can be created on a simple note pad, or in a word processing program on your computer. You can make them as simple or as decorative as you like. Parents who have been through the adoption process agreed that the following help was or would have been greatly appreciated during (and after) their adoption journey, thus making great ideas for “Adoption Time Gift Cards”:
- Laundry: New parents are often overwhelmed with the amount of laundry that comes with a new baby or child, and adoptive parents are no different.
- Grocery Store Run The last thing parents want to do after arriving home with their baby or child is to make a grocery store run.
- Carpool: If the parents to be have other children, offer to take them to school or sports practice.
- Pets: Taking the dog for a walk or vet appointment can be a huge help as they may be consumed with paperwork for their adoption.
- House Watch: Offering to keep an eye on your friend’s house, getting the mail , watering plants, etc., can be a huge relief for parents who will be traveling for an extended period of time.
- Cooking: The next time you make a double batch of your favorite meal, consider putting the extra servings in a freezer safe container or bag. Include notes for defrosting and re-heating, and place in your freezer or deliver to your friend’s home.