Try one of Italy's great contributions to the world of desserts.
This dessert should be made at the last minute, but it doesn't take too ling and is worth the wait.
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 Tbs Marsala wine
- 1 Tbs white wine
- 8 Amaretti (Italian almond cookies)
- Mix yolks and wines together in the top of a double boiler and cook over hot water, beating constantly, until the mixture thickens and becomes warm.
- Remove from heat and beat until fluffy.
- Break up the amaretti in the bottom of a serving bowl.
- Pour zabaglione on top and serve at once.
Note: Save the egg whites in a freezer container. They can be frozen and used for soufflés or meringues.
Zabaglione may be flavored with other liqueurs, such as kirsch.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
Calphalon 3-Quart Stainless-Steel Double Boiler Insert
This Double Boiler Insert is designed with great detail and attention to the task of making delicate cream sauces and chocolate sauces. Use it with any complementary Calphalon saucepan or stockpot to complete the cooking process, filling the bottom pan with enough water to allow heat to circulate and prevent burning. Made of stainless steel, it's sturdy and durable and will come in very handy especially for holiday candy cooking and preparing wonderful sauces for roasts and special meals. Fits all Calphalon Commercial, Professional, and Tri-ply series 4.5-qt. sauce pans and sauce pots.