What do you buy as a gift for a crocheter? Crocheters should be such easy people to buy gifts for the wide reach of the craft means that yarns, hooks, notions, books and patterns will all be gratefully received.
However buying a gift for a crocheter can sometimes be problematic. Just what yarn do they like, or type of hook is their favorite. Can you remember exactly what books they have or what books are other people buying them....? The challenge is finding something that is useful yet unique.
Ideas for Unusual Gifts for Crocheters
- Buttons, Buckles and Ribbons. Crocheters love to adorn their work and unusual buttons and other items are all likely to be gratefully received. There are some lovely handmade buttons and buckles available, sold by independent crafts people. These can make a lovely gift and offer something a little different to any new project.
- Unusual or Premium Yarns. Many crocheters work with practical yarns. These may be washable wools, or sturdy acrylics. These practical yarns are great for many projects as they are easy to care for however most crocheters would also love a ball of some special or unusual yarns to make something special with. A single ball can be used to crochet a corsage or pair of wrist warmers. A single ball could also be used to add a decorative edge to another project. Silk, organic, alpaca, cashmere, hemp, recycled sari silk, bamboo, hand dyed yarns and angora are all examples of luxury yarns that would be gratefully received.
- Recycle Yarn. Another idea is to look for garments made from unusual or luxury yarns that are being sold in charity stores or garage sales. These can make an unusual gift many crocheters will enjoy the challenge of unpicking and reworking the yarn and creating something a little different (you may need to make it clear that they are supposed to be unpicking it and dont feel obliged to wear it!).
- Fancy Hooks. There are some very special handmade hooks available that make ideal gifts. These can be bought direct from the maker who can customize a hook if required. For instance to add special features or decorations. These hooks are often made from wood and each one is different.
- Crochet Work Box / Work Bag. Crocheters like to keep their projects in a bag or work box. This keeps the yarn together and stops pieces from getting lost or dirty. Many crocheters end up keeping their projects in supermarket shopping bags however would love to keep their precious work in something a little more special. There are special work bags available, however vintage shopping bags, children's suitcases and old tool boxes are also suitable and make very unusual gifts. Second hand stores and charity shops offer a wealth of possibilities.
A useful fall back if none of the above is suitable is a gift certificate from a yarn store. This is a thoughtful gift which is both easily arranged and a delight to receive.