Cinco de Mayo (5th of May), is the Mexican holiday that commemorates the Battle of Pueblo which was won on the May 5, 1862. It is a popular holiday in Mexico, of course, but has, over the years, become popular in other countries, and especially the United States. Cinco de Mayo is a day to serve fabulous Mexican food, but since it isnít a bank holiday (in countries other than Mexico), and most donít get to take the day off from work, itís a good idea to have ready a recipe for a Mexican dish that is quick and easy. Cinco De Mayo Chile Relleno Bake is a layer of green chiles and cheese, with a puffy topping that can be assembled in about 10 minutes. While itís baking, the delicious sauce takes only about 15 minutes to make; it can be made a day or two ahead and reheated to spoon over the squares of the casserole.
In restaurants, chile rellenos are often battered and deep-fried. To make them at home, it would be a time-consuming proposition, not to mention messy. This casserole is lower in fat, doesnít make the house smell like deep-frying, and requires a minimum amount of dishes that can be quickly loaded in the dishwasher.
Complete this festive meal with warm flour tortillas and a tossed salad with Salsa Vinaigrette. It also makes a great brunch dish anytime.
2 4 oz. cans whole green chiles
3 cups grated cheddar jack cheese
1/3 cup flour
1 2/3 cups half and half
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon whole oregano
- Preheat oven to 350į.
- Spray a 9 x 9" casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Split the chiles open, remove any seeds, and lay them over the bottom of the casserole dish in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly on the top.
- Whisk together the eggs, flour, half and half, and salt.
- Pour the mixture over the chiles and cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until set.
- Cut into squares and serve with a few spoonfuls of the sauce.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat the oil over medium heat; add the onion and stir fry until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and sprinkle the flour over the mixture.
- Stir over medium heat for 2 minutes; whisk in the chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, salt, and oregano.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and stir until smooth.
- Serve with the chile relleno squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 387 Calories from Fat 261
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 67% Protein 18% Carb. 14%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 29 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 196 mg
Sodium 1190 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 18 g
Vitamin A 37% Vitamin C 37% Calcium 0% Iron 10%