Slow Cooker Pork Chops & Greens with Cornbread Dumplings is a quick Southern one-pot meal that is warm, comforting, and oh-so good. Hands-on time is minimal – just long enough to brown pork chops, slice an onion, and chop the greens. The cornbread dumplings (only 3 ingredients), made from the versatile Homemade Master Baking Mix, cook during the last 30 minutes, allowing for kitchen clean-up, setting the table, or just plain relaxing.
If you’re lucky enough to own a Nesco 3-in 1 (countertop appliance that slow cooks, steams, and pressure cooks), prep time is even less since the pork chops can be browned right in the cooking pot, eliminating the need to use a skillet – one less pan to wash.
It seems that slow cookers are even more popular now than they were when they were first introduced in the 70’s. Almost everyone owns at least one, and many own multiple. Those early slow cookers were slightly different, in that they cooked slower – the “low” setting on the newer models is about the same as the “high” setting on the old ones, making cooking in a slow cooker faster than in years past. They also look better – chrome, black or white replacing the old avocado green or gold, and the crocks are removable so that they can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
If the weather’s cool or you’re just in the mood for some serious comfort food, it’s the perfect time to get out that slow cooker and make this great southern one-pot meal.
2 to 3 pounds bone-in pork loin chops, or pork steak
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds Southern Greens, such as collard greens, turnip greens, or mustard greens
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper, (or to taste)
1 small onion, halved and sliced
1 cup master baking mix
1/2 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup milk
Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Season the pork chops liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and brown, over high heat.
- Remove the chops from the skillet, add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly wash the greens, cut out the center core and stem, and cut into 1" squares.
- Place the greens in the crock of a slow cooker; sprinkle with the vinegar, sugar, and hot pepper.
- Layer the pork chops over the greens and top with the sliced onion.
- Pour the chicken broth over the onions.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn to low, and cook 3-4 hours.
- Dumplings: stir together the master baking mix, cornmeal, and milk.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the hot liquid in the slow cooker.
- Cover and let cook about 20 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through and dry.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with plenty of the juice over the dumplings.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 458 Calories from Fat 148
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 32% Protein 36% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 95 mg
Sodium 1056 mg
Total Carbohydrate 36 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 41 g
Vitamin A 79% Vitamin C 47% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Don’t have a slow cooker or need a Nesco 3 in 1? You can purchase one through Amazon:
Nesco American Harvest PC-6-25-30TPR 6-Quart Multifunction Digital Pressure Cooker
Hamilton Beach 33141 4-Quart Oval Slow Cooker