It’s sometimes difficult to find time to make fancy desserts for holidays; however, with a few convenience products, it’s possible to make a festive Layered Easter Pudding in about 20 minutes. Most grocery store bakeries carry plain, crisp (sprinkled with sugar, but with no frosting) sugar cookies around each of the most popular holidays. These cookies make a perfect base for layers of lemon pudding, strawberries, and whipped cream. The pudding can be made a day ahead, and it’s even better when it is, since the flavors have a chance to blend together. There’s no baking or cooking involved, so older children can make this pudding by themselves. Believe it or not, even made with convenience products, this pudding is really good. The official Hancock tasters cleaned out the bowl in a matter of minutes!
Another time, vanilla wafers or shortbread cookies (like Lorna Doone or Chessmen) can be used instead of the sugar cookies, and other berries such as raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, or a mixture of several can be used in place of the strawberries.
1 3 oz. package instant lemon pudding mix
2 cups milk
8 ounces Easter sugar cookies, from the grocery store bakery
2 cups sliced strawberries, plus more for garnish
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Whisk together the pudding mix and milk; set aside for about 10 minutes until set.
- Line the bottom of a 1 quart glass dish with cookies.
- Pour half of the pudding over the cookies.
- Arrange cookies decoratively around the side of the bowl (the pudding will keep them in place).
- Top the pudding with 1 cup of the strawberries; top the strawberries with a layer of cookies.
- Pour the remaining pudding on top of the cookies, add the remaining 1 cup of strawberries.
- Whip the cream with the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Cover the strawberries with the whipped cream.
- Decorate with additional strawberries and cookies.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 314 Calories from Fat 142
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 5% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 39 mg
Sodium 309 mg
Total Carbohydrate 39 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 36% Calcium 0% Iron 1%