Dilly Bread is a classic that has been around for decades, and busy cooks will be happy to know the dough can easily be made in the automatic bread machine. That way, the bread can be shaped into small loaves for slicing, a tube loaf, or a braided loaf. This easy Bread Machine Dilly Loaf is delicious hot with plenty of real butter, or as an accompaniment to soups and main dishes. Since it’s formed into a braid, it looks fancy, but it can also be shaped into two small loaves or put into a tube pan to make one large round loaf. Any way it’s shaped, it tastes wonderful, especially hot from the oven.
Since there is a distinct dill flavor in this delicious bread, which, incidentally is made very moist with cottage cheese, it goes especially well with salmon and other fish dishes, as well as seafood chowders. There is little hands-on time involved, since the bread machine does most of the work. The cook only has to shape the loaves, which is very easy and takes little time.
1 large or 2 small loaves
3/4 cup water
3 cups flour
2 tablespoons powdered milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1 tablespoon dehydrated onion flakes
2 tablespoons dill weed
1 tablespoon dry yeast
- Place the ingredients (except the egg) in the order given in the pan of the automatic bread machine.
- Set the machine to the dough cycle and start.
- After 5 minutes, check the dough; if it is too soft to form a ball, add more flour; if it is too stiff, add a little more water and restart.
- When the cycle has finished, transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface; pat the dough into a rectangle and cut the rectangle into three strips.
- Roll the strips until they are smooth and about 18" long.
- Place a strip diagonally on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place a second strip diagonally over the first, forming an X.
- Place the third strip in the middle.
- Braid each side from the middle, tucking the ends under.
- Cover loosely with a cloth and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Beat the egg and brush it over the braid.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 82 Calories from Fat 15
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 18% Protein 15% Carb. 67%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 189 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%