Paella is probably the most famous Spanish dish, and making it properly can be very time consuming. However, if a slow cooker is available, Slow Cooker Spanish Paella can be made in just 2-3 hours unattended. Just before serving, the shrimp and peas are stirred in, so it’s very easy on the cook. It’s actually a full meal in one pot, so the only accompaniment needed is a loaf of crusty bread, and some real butter.
There are many variations that are easy to incorporate into this easy dish. Fresh clams or mussels (with shells) can be stirred in at the last minute – the steam from the hot rice will cook them perfectly, and for a little kick (not traditional, but very good), tomatoes with green chilies or chipotle peppers can be substituted for the plain diced tomatoes. This particular recipe starts with a saffron rice mix which eliminates the need to add a bunch of spices, so it’s a real timesaver. Other seafood, such as squid or octopus can be substituted for, or added in addition to, the shrimp.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1" chunks
1/2 pound cured chorizo sausage, sliced on the diagonal
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 10 oz. package Saffron Rice Mix, (I use Mahatma Brand or Vigo)
3 cups water
1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on or off
1 cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Add the chicken breast pieces and quickly brown (the pieces should still be raw in the middle); remove from the skillet and add the sausage slices.
- Turn the heat to medium high and sauté the sausage until browned.
- Add the onion and garlic; sauté until the onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- Add the rice mix, water, and tomatoes.
- Stir well, set the slow cooker to high, and let cook 2-3 hours or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the shrimp, and peas.
- Cover and let cook 15-20 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and just cooked through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 351 Calories from Fat 94
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 27% Protein 32% Carb. 41%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 148 mg
Sodium 1054 mg
Total Carbohydrate 36 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 28 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 34% Calcium 0% Iron 19%