Who doesnít love Nutella? Itís great spread on sandwiches, pancakes and waffles, and also as a filling for sandwich cookies. Itís best, however, in this decadent bread pudding where it raises the bar to an ethereal level. Slow Cooker Chocolate Hazelnut Bread Pudding is a great way to use a stale baguette, and since itís cooked in the slow cooker, nobody needs to be around to watch it while it cooks. Hands-on time for this easy dessert is 10-15 minutes. Once the bread is sliced and sandwiched together with Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread, the custard ingredients can either be whisked together or quickly combined in the blender, then poured over the bread. The finished dessert can be served warm or cold, with whipped cream or custard.
1 stale baguette, sliced into 3/4 " slices
1 cup Nutella, or other Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
Sweetened whipped cream
- Spread a generous amount of Nutella on half of the baguette slices; top with the remaining slices to form sandwiches. (Make sure you use the entire cup of Nutella.)
- Spray the inside of a 3-4 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Layer the Nutella sandwiches in the crock.
- Place the remaining ingredients except whipped cream in the blender; blend until smooth. Alternately, whisk together until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sandwiches; press them down into the liquid.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn it to high, and let cook 2 hours.
- Remove the lid and with a spatula, press the sandwiches down into the custard.
- Cover and continue cooking 1-2 hours or until the custard is set.
- Tilt the lid and let sit 15 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Serve warm or cold with sweetened whipped cream or warm custard (such as Birdís).
Amount Per Serving
Calories 331 Calories from Fat 116
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 35% Protein 10% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 101 mg
Sodium 301 mg
Total Carbohydrate 45 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 23 g
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 11%